This Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup is the perfect cozy dish to enjoy while being lazy on the couch (and watching other people be the opposite of lazy!). It’s very hearty, kind of nutty and has just the right amount of spice. And it tastes really creamy, even though there is only a half of cup of cream in the entire pot. I give it a gold medal!
You’ll Need:For the Soup:
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets (about 4 cups total)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 cups total)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Reserved roasted cauliflower mix
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Heavy cream
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower florets, chickpeas and garlic cloves (just leave them whole) with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the cumin, salt and paprika. Roast in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through. Remove from your oven and set aside. Reserve about 1/2 cup for the garnish.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the cubed potatoes and black pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the vegetable broth and the water and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to maintain a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are very soft, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the roasted cauliflower mix.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can use a food processor or blender, working in batches if necessary and being careful when transferring and blending hot liquids. Return the pureed soup to the stovetop and gently re-warm it. Stir in the heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the reserved roasted cauliflower mix, red pepper flakes, fresh thyme leaves and a drizzle of heavy cream, if desired. Enjoy immediately.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 2-3 days.