Deliciously simple dairy free fudge recipe. This is the perfect no-bake treat for the holidays!
This fudge is decadent but not overpoweringly sugary and sweet. When I’ve eaten normal fudge in the past, to me, it was too sweet. The sugary quality was a bit too much for my taste buds. This dairy free version is everything I think fudge should be – rich, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth, and very chocolatey.
I remembered that sweetened condensed milk is often an ingredient in easy fudge recipes, so I wanted to come up with a good substitution for that ingredient. I found that using full fat coconut milk and whisking in some powdered sugar worked very well.
I’ve tried this recipe with various brands of coconut milk, and it really works the best when the coconut milk has guar gum in it, like So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk or Taste of Thai brand. The gum seems to help the fudge solidify and hold its shape better. It will not set up right when you use a coconut milk without gum.
- 13.5 ounces canned full fat coconut milk Taste of Thai brand, or the 11 ounce container of So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk
- 3 cups dairy free dark chocolate chips - PASCHA 85% Bittersweet chips or Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar I use corn free confectioner's sugar
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper so that there is an overhang on two sides.
- If your can of coconut milk has a lot of excess liquid on the top, pour that out before proceeding.
- Place the coconut milk in a sauce pan and heat over medium low heat, just until it starts to stem a little bit. Sift in the confectioner's sugar and whisk to combine. Do not overheat or boil.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir well until fully melted. This will happen quickly, don't burn the chocolate.
- Pour into the prepared pan and spread out evenly with a spatula. Let it cool for about 30 minutes on the counter.
- Place in the refrigerator for two hours or until the fudge is firm.
- Use the parchment paper to remove the fudge from the pan, then slice into squares.
- Store in the refrigerator.