When you're low carbing and all you can think about is pizza, you don't have to miss out. This low carb pizza casserole is crustless but still packs a lot of flavor because it's filled with your favorite toppings (and lots of cheese). You won't even miss the pizza crust... Promise!
You don’t have to make this in the crock pot. If you prefer the oven, do that. Or if you just want to add everything to a big skillet, you can do that, too. We just prefer the crock pot because I can toss the ingredients in mid-afternoon, and it’ll be hot and ready by dinner time.
And yes, the 2-hours on low is correct. I cook the ground beef and veggies before I put them in the crock pot. If you don’t (which I don’t recommend because it would be totally greasy), you’ll need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- pepperoni slices
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (14-oz) jar pizza sauce
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (8-oz) package baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dice green pepper, onion and mushrooms.
- Add veggies and ground beef to pan. Cook until ground beef is browned and veggies are tender. Drain.
- In crock pot, layer ground beef and veggie mixture, sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Repeat layers.
- Cook on low in crock pot for 2 hours, until cheese is melted and and casserole is heated through.
- And there you have it! Now, if the casserole is still really hot when you try to serve it, it’s going to fall apart into a cheesy, tasty mess. To slice it like you see in the pictures, you need to allow it to cool. But it’s just as tasty when it’s messy, so I wouldn’t worry about that.