If you’ve been looking for the best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe, your search is over! We’ve tested this recipe 10 times and every batch turned out great! Finally, a vegan chocolate cookie recipe that really works!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid (be sure it is not melted at all)
- 1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (I like to use the thicker Thai variety, but any coconut milk will work)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips (use vegan chocolate chips if vegan), divided
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add in the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and, using a wooden spoon or very sturdy spatula, stir until ingredients are combined. The batter will be very thick! Fold in 1 and 3/4 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop three tablespoon sized mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookies for spreading. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers have set. Press remaining chocolate chips on top of warm cookies, and sprinkle with sea salt, if using. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- If the dough appears too sticky, add a little more flour, one tablespoon at a time; if the dough appears too dry, add a tablespoon of coconut milk.
- Unlike most cookie recipes that instruct you to preheat oven to 350, these cookies call for a slightly higher oven temperature of 375. The higher temperature yields cookies that are crispy on the outside but chewy on the inside.
- I like to make these cookies BIG. And use a large cookie scoop to create the monster sized cookies you see in my photos. Of course you may make them smaller or even larger, but will need to adjust the baking time. Small cookies will bake quite fast (I suggest you start checking them around 6 minutes) and larger ones take longer to bake (I suggest you check them around 9 minutes).
- Finally, be sure you don’t over bake these cookies! They only need 9 to 12 minutes in the oven, and will firm up quite a bit as they cool. Over baked cookies will be dry and crumbly… not chewy like we want!
I like to press a few extra chocolate chips on top of the warm vegan chocolate chip cookies right when they come out of the oven. This step is optional. Personally I can never have too much chocolate in, ON, or around my cookies lolol. But I’m a chocoholic… so that shouldn’t come as a surprise. You can also sprinkle the cookies with flaky sea salt, which adds a nice flavor contrast. And if you really want to go over the top, pick up some vegan ice cream and use these cookies to make homemade vegan ice cream cookie sandwiches. You’ll thank me for that little tip this Summer haha.