These meatballs really speak for themselves. They are savoury, sweet, almost-too-much-life-meat, delicious and seriously addicting. I bet you can’t just eat one!
What’s great about this recipe is that these balls are so versatile and you can make them with any sauce you like. This recipe uses a BBQ sauce. These balls are perfect for a family dinner, an appetizer or for meal-prep. You can even freeze them in a tight sealed container and thaw them out when you’re in need.
- 1 cup oat flour, process rolled oats for 30 seconds in food processor
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats
- 1 400ml can of black beans, strained and drained
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil – plus some for cooking
- 1 heaped tbsp. tomato paste
- season to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- season to taste
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcester sauce
- 1/2 – 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp. molasses (optional)
- Garnish with fresh Mint
- Pulse your one cup rolled oats in the food processor until a flour forms. Then add the rest of your ingredients into the processor and blend till everything is well combined. You want to ensure there is no loose flour, this is how you know you’re done blending.
- Begin rolling into “meat balls” I like using a tbsp. to measure or even a small ice cream scoop. Please note, you’re balls will cook differently depending on the size you roll them. Once your balls are rolled, set them into the fridge while you prepare your BBQ sauce.
- Into a medium sized pot add your oil and heat on low for a 1 minute. Add your onions and cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant and translucent. Add your garlic and cook for another minute. Add the remainder of your ingredients and simmer on medium for around 10-15 minutes, stir often to avoid sticking or burning. Taste and ensure it has the flavours you desire. If it’s perfect then remove from heat, once cooled enough to handle use a hand blender to thicken and blend. Set aside.
- Into a large non stick pan heat your olive oil for 1 minute or so. Add your balls and cook for around 1 minute on each side. Add your desired amount of BBQ sauce to the pot and cook for around 5-6 minutes, on medium, with lid on, until your balls are cooked throughout. A way to test this is to cut into one and check if it’s hot in the middle and steaming. That’s when you know you’re ready to eat all this deliciousness!
- Serve hot with Rice, on their own or with salad!
- Balls will last in the fridge, in a tight sealed container for up to one week.
- BBQ Sauce will last for around one week or so in a tight sealed jar in the fridge.
- Get creative with your Balls and BBQ Sauce, if you know your family likes a certain cuisine or flavour then add it to the mix! Have fun in the kitchen!